Valley History

Thousands of years in one small valley

A Kumeyaay homeland, one of California's only Indian pueblos, the bloodiest battle of the Mexican-American War in California, pioneer wheat farms, the county's last dairy, and a world-famous wildlife park — the story of the ground we live on.

First peoples

The Kumeyaay valley

Long before highways and vineyards, the valley carved by Santa Ysabel Creek was home to the Kumeyaay people — the northern Ipai, whose territory ran from today's Escondido toward Lake Henshaw. For thousands of years families moved seasonally between the valley floor and the uplands, harvesting and grinding acorns (bedrock mortar sites survive in the area, including a well-documented village site at nearby Felicita County Park) and living in willow-frame homes.

In 1835, after Mexico secularized the missions, officials did something rare: they formally established an Indian pueblo at San Pasqual — 81 Kumeyaay men, women, and children, resettled in the very valley their ancestors had lived in. Under Capitán José Panto, the pueblo farmed and prospered for roughly forty years, its people working as vaqueros, carpenters, blacksmiths, and weavers.

The story turns hard after statehood. An 1852 treaty was never ratified; an 1870 executive-order reservation of ~92,000 acres was revoked within a year under settler pressure; Panto died in 1874; and in 1878 the valley's Kumeyaay were driven out entirely, their families scattering to Mesa Grande, La Jolla, and the hills. When a reservation was finally re-established (1910–11), a surveying error placed it in the rocky hills of Valley Center — not the ancestral valley. Today the San Pasqual Band of Diegueño Mission Indians is a thriving federally recognized tribe there, and each fall equinox the band and State Parks co-host the Kumeyaay New Year celebration at the battlefield park, bringing bird singers and storytelling back to the valley.

San Pasqual Battlefield State Historic Park overlooking the valley
San Pasqual Battlefield State Historic Park · photo: Wikimedia Commons (CC BY-SA 3.0)
December 6, 1846

⚔️ The Battle of San Pasqual

The bloodiest battle in California

General Stephen W. Kearny's Army of the West reached the valley in early December 1846 after a ~2,000-mile march from Kansas — exhausted men on worn-out mules, guided by Kit Carson. Before dawn on December 6, in cold fog and after rain had soaked their gunpowder, they attacked Andrés Pico's Californio lancers camped at the Kumeyaay village. A misheard command strung the charge out, the carbines wouldn't fire, and the fight became lance and saber against clubbed rifles. Pico's superb horsemen lassoed dragoons from the saddle and lanced them on the ground; three American captains were killed and Kearny himself was wounded before artillery finally drove the lancers off.

About 21–22 Americans died of roughly 150 engaged — the bloodiest fight on California soil in the Mexican-American War. Californio losses are disputed: Pico reported almost none; American accounts claimed more.

Mule Hill & the barefoot run for help

Retreating with their wounded, the Americans were besieged on a rocky hill above today's Lake Hodges — Mule Hill, named for what the starving troops were reduced to eating. On the night of December 8–9, Kit Carson, Navy Lt. Edward Beale, and a Kumeyaay scout slipped through the lines and walked — much of it barefoot — roughly 28 miles to San Diego. Commodore Stockton sent ~200 sailors and marines, Pico withdrew, and the column limped into San Diego on December 12.

Who won? Both sides claimed it, and historians still argue — Kearny held the field, but Pico's lancers did nearly all the damage. Weeks later the Treaty of Cahuenga (signed by Pico) ended the fighting in California. Local footnote: Panto and the San Pasqual villagers aided the Americans, warning of ambush and supplying animals.

Walk the ground

The granite monument went up in 1925 and the battlefield became San Pasqual Battlefield State Historic Park (California Historical Landmark No. 533), open weekends beside the Safari Park — with the Battle Day living-history commemoration each December. Mule Hill is an interpretive stop on the Coast to Crest Trail. Plan a visit →
1850s → today

From wheat farms to wildlife park

  • 1868–1872

    Zenas Sikes buys 2,400 acres of Rancho San Bernardo and builds his adobe farmhouse — the restored Sikes Adobe still anchors the valley's west gate. The Bernardo post office opens at his farmstead in 1872.

  • 1878

    County authorities clear the valley's Kumeyaay pueblo; American homesteaders take over land the villagers had farmed for forty years.

  • 1885

    Bernard Rockwood establishes Rockwood Ranch. His farmhouse survives today as Rancho Guejito Vineyard's tasting room.

  • 1918

    The valley's pioneer-era schools unite as the San Pasqual Union School District — still its own one-school district over a century later. The same year, engineer John S. Eastwood's multiple-arch Lake Hodges Dam rises on the San Dieguito River.

  • 1927–1932

    The romanticized outdoor "Felicita" pageant — legend built around a real Kumeyaay woman, Panto's daughter Felicita La Chappa — draws crowds near today's Felicita County Park.

  • Late 1950s–1964

    The City of San Diego buys most of the valley floor for its groundwater and adopts the plan that becomes the ~14,000-acre agricultural preserve — the reason our views are still farms, not rooftops. Holland-born Frank Konyn founds his dairy in 1962; it's now the county's last.

  • May 10, 1972

    The San Diego Wild Animal Park opens — zoo director Dr. Charles Schroeder's "country zoo" for endangered-species breeding. Renamed the Safari Park in 2010, it's now a world center for condor and rhino recovery.

  • Aug 17, 1981

    The San Pasqual Valley AVA is established — among the first handful of American Viticultural Areas in the nation and the first in San Diego County.

  • 1990s

    Eagle Crest Golf Club (c. 1992–93) and the Rancho San Pasqual community rise on the valley's northeast rim; the Ranchos at Vistamonte follows in the 2000s. San Pasqual Academy opens in 2001 as the nation's first residential education campus built for foster teens.

  • Oct 2007

    The Witch Creek & Guejito fires merge and sweep the valley — part of a ~198,000-acre firestorm that forced the county's largest-ever evacuation and damaged the newly restored Sikes Adobe. The Wild Animal Park sheltered in place and survived; recovery took years. It's why fire readiness is a way of life here.

  • May 2025

    The renovated course reopens as Dos Osos Golf Club — the newest chapter for the land at the heart of Rancho San Pasqual.

Faces of the valley

People who shaped this place

d. 1874

José Panto

Capitán of the San Pasqual pueblo for nearly four decades — led its agricultural heyday, aided Kearny's army in 1846, and fought legally for his people's land until his death.

c. 1820–1916

Felicita La Chappa

Panto's daughter, who witnessed the 1846 battle as a young woman and helped tend wounded soldiers. The famous pageant romance built around her is legend — the woman was real, and Felicita Park, Road, and Creek carry her name.

1810–1876

Andrés Pico

The Californio commander whose lancers dominated the battle; signed the Treaty of Cahuenga ending the war in California, and later served as a state senator.

1794–1848 · 1809–1868

Kearny, Carson & Beale

The general who led (and bled at) San Pasqual; the frontier scout; and the Navy lieutenant — Carson and Beale's barefoot night trek from Mule Hill saved the column. Kit Carson Park and Kearny Mesa carry the names.

1919–2019

Jane Trussell

Arrived in 1942 as teaching principal of the two-room valley school; taught, drove the bus, and led San Pasqual Union until 1976 — then volunteered until 2010. The schoolhouse replica on campus bears her name. She lived to 100.

1901–1991

Dr. Charles Schroeder

The San Diego Zoo director who dreamed up a "country zoo" in our valley over his own board's objections — and gave the world the Wild Animal Park.

Why "San Pasqual"?

The name honors St. Paschal Baylón (San Pascual Bailón, 1540–1592), a Spanish Franciscan lay brother. The Mexican-era spelling was San Pascual; the Americanized San Pasqual stuck for the valley, the battle, the tribe, and the schools — though you'll still see both on old maps. Exactly why the pueblo received this patron name isn't definitively recorded.

Help us get it right — and go deeper

History carries disputes (starting with who won the battle — we present both claims). Corrections and family stories are welcome at hello@spvlife.com. To dig further: the San Pasqual Band's own history, the Journal of San Diego History on Capitán Panto, State Parks' battlefield page, the Sikes Adobe farmstead, and the Battlefield Volunteer Association.